Monday, December 17, 2012

The Most Telling Chart Of 2011

It’s the final Friday of the year. And like we always do, we’re going to the charts!

You’ll recall, each week I embrace the adage that a picture is worth a thousand words. And I select a graphic or two to convey an important economic or investment idea.

Last week, I featured the worst prediction of 2011. This week, I’ve been inspired by The Atlantic’s Most Important Graphs of 2011.

But don’t worry. I won’t overwhelm you with 28 charts like their editor did. Instead, I’m cherry-picking the one I’m convinced is the most telling chart of 2011…

All Hell Breaks Loose in the Eurozone

Riots in the Middle East… The death of Osama bin Laden… A triple tragedy in Japan… Although significant, none of these events dominated the headlines or shaped investors’ attitudes more than the debt crisis in Europe.

To put it simply, all hell broke loose in 2011 in the eurozone. If you want graphic proof, look no further than the yield on European government bonds.

Of course, I’m not asking you to cry for the eurozone. Heck no.

In a Friday column way back on June 17, I gave you fair warning, saying, “If you own any euros or European bank stocks, take this as your cue to stampede for the exits, stat!”

Sure enough, the euro has plummeted 10% since that time, which is a big move in the currency market.

As Desmond Lachman of the American Enterprise Institute said, “More disconcerting yet… a crisis that had embroiled the smaller countries like Greece, Ireland and Portugal, started knocking on the door of Italy and Spain, which is now calling the very survival of the euro into question.”

I couldn’t agree more. And 2012 could be the year the euro dies!

Let us know what you think about the fate of the euro AND our work at Wall Street Daily. Simply drop us an email at feedback@wallstreetdaily.com or leave a comment below.

Here’s to a healthy and prosperous New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment